Monday, February 16, 2009

What Are You Afraid Of?

How many times have circumstances surrounded you? You are disappointed by a failed business deal, someone close to you betrays your trust, your best friend stops speaking to you, a loved one falls into sin, your spouse passes away.
In all these things, you may cry out, "Why!" Or you may say, "Help me Lord! I can't go on!", just as the disciples did in the midst of the stormy sea.

Matthew chapter 8 verse 26 says,

"And he saith unto them, Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith? Then he arose, and rebuked the winds and the sea; and there was a great calm."
For most of us, most of the time, the problems we are called on to endure and the fears we have, are not nearly as serious as the ones I listed in my first paragraph. But, none the less, they are real fears, they grip our heart and mind, and we are paralyzed, unable to act rationally or effectively to fulfill God's plan for our lives that day.

Just a week ago, a man sat down next to me on a plane. He was obviously angry about something. He was gruff with those around him as he put his belongings away, and when he sat down he got out a paperback and began to read.

Just then, the Holy Spirit spoke to me, encouraging me to find a divinely appointed time to strike up a conversation with this man. Now, understand, I had just worked a long week, I was tired; ready to go to sleep on the plane. I had my funny little half circle neck pillow out, I was ready to lean my seat back as soon as the plane took off, and I had already determined I could get almost an hour's sleep on this flight, before we began descending.


So, I thought, "Lord, he's in a bad mood, he won't want to talk, I will annoy him, he'll speak angrily to me, and may even cause a scene." I was afraid to trust the Holy Spirit and let Him have control of the situation. So I did nothing.

I was afraid. Of what? Afraid someone might think less of me if I said something?

Let's think about that a bit.

First of all, I am a child of The King! (no, Denise, not Elvis). I am a child of the Almighty, the King of kings, Lord of lords, the One who knows the end from the beginning.

There's the key! He knows the end from the beginning. Why would I think that what He asked me to do could somehow turn out in some unexpected way? IT CAN'T! Nothing is unexpected for God! He knows all things. By Him do all things hold together, (Colossians 1:17).

Secondly, who am I to question His commands? I am supposed to be dead to self, to live any longer therein. (Romans 6:2) I am supposed to "reckon myself to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord." (Romans 6:11).


In addition, only presumption of our own importance, or PRIDE, can cause us to think this way. Do we think our embarrassment is too much to suffer for what Christ did on the cross? If so, then that is self-consciousness, or pride. Or, are we so "full of ourselves", engrossed in our own lives, that we think that we should take care of ourselves rather than sacrifice a little of our "precious" time to speak with someone about eternal life. That attitude is PRIDE also - self-centeredness.

So, I did nothing. I squelched the Holy Spirit's leading and did nothing. I fell asleep as I intended, and didn't wake until we landed. As we prepared to get off the plane, the man spoke to me. He was rational, kind and unassuming. He was not the "bully" I had imagined him to be. But the time was gone. He grabbed his case and stepped off the plane. I never saw him again. The opportunity had been lost. This man may be lost - for eternity - because of my selfishness.

I Peter chapter 3 verse 15 says,

"But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:"
Are YOU ready?

Mark Tabor

No comments:

Post a Comment